Spongy and moist chocolate cake.
You can cook Spongy and moist chocolate cake using 16 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spongy and moist chocolate cake
- Prepare 2 1/4 cups of self raising flour.
- Prepare 3/8 of (almost half) cup of cocoa.
- You need 3 of eggs.
- You need 1 3/4 cups of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
- It’s 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
- You need of Buttermilk =3/4 cup of milk+a tbsp of vinegar/lime/lemon juice.
- You need 3/4 cup of hot coffee(hot water+1 tsp coffee).
- It’s of For the frosting :.
- It’s 1/4 cup of butter.
- It’s 2 1/4 cups of powdered sugar.
- It’s 2 1/5 tbsp of cocoa powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
- It’s 1 tbsp of milk if too thick and add powdered sugar if very light.
Spongy and moist chocolate cake step by step
- Preheat oven. Using a hand mixer or a whisk beat the eggs one by one completely in a bowl.
- Add sugar and whisk until the mixture is fluffy. *The fluffiness brought about by the eggs is the key to an airy and spongy cake so make sure your eggs are beaten thoroughly *.
- Whisk in oil, then add salt and vanilla essence and whisk..
- Mix in buttermilk then add cocoa powder and whisk.
- Start mixing in the flour bit by bit until you obtain a slightly thick consistency.
- Mix in the hot coffee gradually until you obtain a nice light consistency(not extremely light).
- Transfer the batter in an oiled baking tin and bake for 50 min at 170° or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean..
- This batter being light, it's advisable to have a parchment paper at the bottom of your tin before pouring the batter in the tin to avoid the case of having your cake stuck in the middle and coming out broken*.
- For the frosting beat the butter first then add sugar and vanilla essence and beat.
- If you feel your buttercream is too thick add a tbsp of milk and if too thin add a little powdered sugar.That's it now go ahead and get creative with the icing..
- I divided my buttercream in three. One portion is the one I added maroon food coloring and used as the crumb coat. 2nd, I mixed in 2 tbsp of cocoa and the 3rd mixed in 1/2 tbsp of cocoa. About the difference in cocoa I wanted a marble kinda frosting and I actually achieved it if you pay a closer look on the cake..
- My cake transitions. The one with a maroon coat is the crumb coat. I preferred the colour maroon since it's almost that of the cake. Just used a little buttercream and added maroon food coloring. The food colour is optional..