Indian Baklava. Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon. Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with syrup. Baklava is a rich, sweet dessert pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened and held together with syrup, frosting or honey.
Baklava is a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo This baklava is flaky, crisp and tender and I love that it isn't overly sweet. Buy baklava online at low price in India from Almond House. Choose from a variety of baklava sweets stuffed with different dry-fruits and filled with honey. You can cook Indian Baklava using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Indian Baklava
- Prepare of Saffron Syrup.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of saffron threads.
- It’s 4 1/2 tsp of rose water.
- It’s of Baklava.
- You need 1/2 cup of raw walnuts.
- It’s 1/2 cup of raw almonds.
- It’s 1 tsp of cardamom.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 pkg. (1 lb.) of frozen filo, thawed.
- It’s 1 cup of ghee.
- You need 3 tbsp of shelled unsalted pistachios, finely ground.
Baklava is a Middle Eastern specialty. Baklava is made in many shapes I decided to make them in rolls. Instead of honey I used sugar to glaze and flavored with cardamom. India's famous desserts have won worldwide acclaim.
Indian Baklava step by step
- Crush saffron with a mortar and pestle or on a plate with the handle of a wooden spoon. In a small saucepan, mix sugar, 3/4 cup water, and the saffron. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until liquid is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then stir in rose water..
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a food processor, whirl walnuts, almonds, cardamom, and nutmeg until nuts are coarsely ground..
- Unroll filo with a long side facing you and cut in half into two 9- by 13-in. pieces. Stack pieces and cover with a kitchen towel to keep from drying out..
- Brush bottom and sides of a 9- by 13-in. baking dish with ghee. Peel off 1 sheet filo, lay in pan, and brush with ghee. Layer 12 more sheets on top, brushing each with ghee (it's okay if some sheets are torn or not fitting evenly in pan)..
- Sprinkle half the nut mixture over filo. Lay another sheet of filo on top, gathering it to fit into pan and brushing with ghee. Repeat with 12 more sheets of filo, buttering each. Sprinkle on remaining nut mixture. Layer remaining sheets of filo on top, buttering each as before..
- Cut baklava into 32 squares. Bake until top is golden and crisp and edges pull away from pan sides, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Cool pan on a rack 30 minutes..
- Pour saffron syrup over baklava. Let sit to absorb most of the syrup, at least 3 hours (overnight is better). Sprinkle each square with 1/4 tsp. ground pistachios..
In addition to positively unapologetic quantities of butter and sugar, the Subcontinent's sweets feature spices. Baklava Birthday Cake — Sweet Gastronomy. Baklava is very sweet tasting pastry that is made from roasted pistachios and walnuts doused in honey, rose and orange blossom syrup, sandwiched. The modern day baklava went through a number of transitions as the history of the area kept on changing. Middle East, Eastern Mediterranean, Balkans, Caucasia; Turks, Arabs, Jews, Greeks.